Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Plan B?

This past weekend we were working on my 1976 BMW R90/6 and the unexpected happen. When pulling the left cylinder in order to replace the leaking push rod tube seals, we discovered that the previous owner (or a mechanic) had severely stripped the threads on the head where the exhaust pipes are secured. They then had secured the pipe on with some sort of liquid metal compound. It took more than an hour to get the stuck exhaust nut off the head. Initially I thought it would be no big deal. I will just have the threads re-done at a machine shop and we will be back in business in a week or two. Well, the first place I checked (Bob's BMW) does not do that type of machine work during the summer. The others take a little while to do that type of work so it could be a month or so before I can get everything back together. While I have not given up, it does not look good to have the R90 ready for my 1,000+ one way trip to Wyoming next month.

I would like to thank Ray Zimmerman, Executive Director of the BMW Motorcycle Owner's Association, who has mentored me during my project and whose garage my bike is in right now. I could not ask for a more knowledgeable or generous man (and friend) to assist me during this project. We did a LOT of work on Saturday on my bike including changing all the fluids and replacing the front brake pads before we ran into this obstacle. Bill Knott, the accountant for MOA, was also there working on his motorcycle replacing his push road tube seals and some other things. Click on this video to see a little of Saturday's workshop action:


So here's "Plan B" in case I need it. Instead I can simply ride another motorcycle for the long trip to Wyoming. Fortunately I also own a 1985 K100RS (First Year K-Bike). It will not be nearly as comfortable since it is more a sport touring bike than a touring motorcycle like the R90/6. But I figure if it was easy anyone could do it and everyone would. I will get through this challenge too.

All the best and thank you for your support to help kids with brain tumors!

Cheers,
Brian "Brain" Kissinger

To make a donation for research go to:
www.firstgiving.com/ridebrainride

No comments: